Monday, June 16, 2008

week 1

My first week of summer scholars was a wonderful time. I loved being in the dorms and making new friends with the other scholars. I can be a quite person at times and it was a great opportunity for me. All the activities kept me pretty busy on top of studying. I think it was a good simulation of a real college life with some many things needing attention. The obstacle courses out at camp were a good addition in my opinion. I was pretty scared on Sunday on the individual course but the group challenge course was awesome. Being in a group really helped me make it through the difficult areas and strengthened relationships with in the summer scholars. My course, Intro. To Native American Studies, was a bit intimidating before the first class but turned out to be awesome as well. The professor seems to be really nice and the class is quite interesting. I was worried that being in a college course would be difficult to handle but it actually seems quite manageable, despite all the reading. I think simply being in a college setting has been a major source of motivation for me. This isn’t a high school class, even though I’ve taken AP classes, it’s different. Like stepping out into the real world. I know that sounds cheesy! The hardest part of the whole first week was the fact that I was away from my family the entire time. It really showed me how important my family is and I even missed my sister. Overall I think the first week of the Summer Scholars program was a positive experience. It showed me that I can handle a college class and make new friends.

No comments: